What are panic attacks?
- Accelerrated heart rate
- Sensation of smothering
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Nausea or abdominal distress
- Chills or heat sensations
- Feeling dizzy, unsteady or faint
- Fear of losing control or dying
Ways to stop
- Refocus your attention
- Splash water on your face
- Focus on taking deep, slow breaths
- Remind your self that these feeling aren't dangerous and will pass
- Go for a walk or do light exercises
Self-guided square breathing for anxiety: try this short video (closed captions, no sound needed).
Panic disorders - symptoms and treatment
What are panic attacks? Watch the video below for information on common symptoms and treatment.
Scroll down to see an interactive exercise (graphic) that can be useful for managing breathing (by Dr Matt Lewis).
Updated on: 21/04/2022